Starting an exciting career as a family day care educator begins by selecting and registering with an approved family day care service; you can search for a local approved family day care service by clicking here and searching for the blue pins.
The approved service will most likely discuss your interest, suitability and availability in becoming an educator and the processes by which they recruit train and initiate new educators.
Qualifications and professional requirements
- Hold or be actively working towards at least a Certificate Ill level education and care qualification.*
- Current first aid and CPR certificates and training in the emergency management of asthma and anaphylaxis.
- Appropriate clearances for working with children.
- New educators must provide a national police check (must be no more than 6 months old)
- Maintain current public liability insurance – this is available from Family Day Care Australia, click here for more information.
- An educator may care for 3 additional school age children, outside of school hours
Creating your educational environment
- As a family day care educator it would be expected that you would provide a safe, stimulating and educational learning environment.
- Your approved service will do an assessment of your residence and advise of any changes that may be required.
- If you live in a rental property you will need to advise your landlord of your intent to operate a family day care service.
Enrolling children to fill vacancies
Promotion and marketing to families is usually done in partnership between educators and the approved family day care service. Your approved service will usually field enquiries about family day care and will match families with educators; families are often then referred to you for an interview.
Ongoing support and professional development
You will have regular ongoing contact with your approved service including home visits, training, meetings and workshops to support you in maintaining currency of skills and knowledge and to deliver quality education and care to the children in your service.
* Educators in South Australia must hold a certificate Ill level education and care qualification