The Family Day Care Australia Excellence in Family Day Care Awards are the only national awards dedicated entirely to the family day care sector. The Excellence in Family Day Care Awards recognise the amazing work done by educators, coordinators and services in the family day care sector to deliver high quality early childhood education and care to children across Australia. We invite families, services and educators to tell us in their own words, what makes their educator, coordinator or approved service such an integral and special contributor to their lives and to the lives of the children in their care.
Click on the links below to view more information on each of the Excellence in Family Day Care Awards categories.
How do the awards work?
Nominations and submissions
During the nomination period (10 May - 13 June 2021) families, services and educators are invited to nominate their family day care educator, coordinator or approved service via a simple online nomination form.
When an educator, coordinator or approved service is nominated they are advised of their nomination via email. During the nomination period, a weekly email is sent to all nominees informing them that they have been nominated. A weekly nomination list is also published on this website.
Inside their email, nominees are invited to make a supporting submission against specific questions outlined in the online submission form. Nominees have until 27 June 2021 to complete their supporting submission.
Once the submission deadline has passed, a number of judging phases take place in the lead up to the announcement of the Excellence in Family Day Care Awards National Winners.
Regional winners (educators only), Star Award winners and national finalists in each category are selected by an official FDCA selection committee. The FDCA selection committee* is made up of the following representatives, who each have extensive experience in the family day care sector.
The 2021 Excellence in Family Day Care Awards selection committee members are:
- Sarah Fowler - FDCA Board Director and Board Chair
- Marina Buultjens - FDCA Board Director
- Phillipa Hargrave - FDCA Board Director
- Rosie Pupo - FDCA Board Director
- Georgina Zadelj - FDCA Board Director
Following the selection of the national finalists by the FDCA selection committee, each finalist is reviewed by ACECQA Deputy National Education Leader and Senior Manager of Educational Leadership, Perry Campbell. Following this review process a national winner from each category is selected. These winners are the 2021 Excellence in Family Day Care Awards Educator of the Year, Coordinator of the Year and Service of the Year.
*Services that are directly connected to FDCA Board Directors or FDCA staff are not eligible for an award.
- Nominations open - 10 May 2021
- Nominations close - 13 June 2021
- Submissions close - 27 June 2021
- Regional winners announced- 24 August 2021 – 14 September 2021
- Emerging Star award winners announced - 28 September 2021
- Perpetual Star award winners announced - 5 October 2021
- Coordinator National finalists announced - 26 October 2021
- Service National finalists announced - 2 November 2021
- Educator National finalists announced - 9 November 202
- National winners announced –26 February 2022