Neurodiversity and Inclusion: Don’t miss this conversation!
This Thursday evening, 31 August from 6.00pm - 7.30pm (AEST), join our special guest panel for FDCA's Online Engagement Series, who will discuss neurodiversity and inclusion from a family day care and early learning context.
The panel will also be providing advice on support services and resources that are accessible to family day care educators and services, as well as strategies for supporting neurodivergent children and their families.
Guests that will be joining our host, FDCA Advocacy and Engagement Manager Michael Farrell include:
- Hannah Smith - Midcoast Family Day Care, Family Day Care Educator and 2022 National Educator of the Year
- Samantha Folan - Community Vision Family Day Care, Family Day Care Coordinator and 2015 Educator of the Year National Finalist
- Gee van der Watt - Owner and Director, Autism Inclusion
- Date and Time: Thursday, 31 August 2023, 6:00pm - 7.30pm AEST
- Special Guests: Hannah Smith, Samantha Folan and Gee van der Watt
- Streaming Links: FDCA Website, Facebook and YouTube
Be part of the conversation
To be part of the conversation on the evening, be sure to add your comments and questions via the comments sections via the FDCA Facebook or YouTube feeds
Please note, if you would like to submit live questions through the comments on Facebook or YouTube, you will need to be logged into Facebook or YouTube.
Can’t make it on the night?
If you can’t make the session on the night, don’t worry! A recording of the episode will be available via the FDCA Member Zone afterwards.
SA Royal Commission Final Report Delivers for Family Day Care
In October 2022 the Honourable Julia Eileen Gillard AC was invested with the powers of a Royal Commissioner to inquire into and provide a report on the extent to which South Australian families are supported in the first 1000 days of a child’s life; how universal quality preschool programs for three and four year olds can be delivered in South Australia; and how all families can have access to different out of school hours care offerings at both preschool and primary school ages, including considerations of accessibility in all parts of the state, affordability and quality in public and private settings.
On Fri 19 May 2023, FDCA made a submission in response to the Royal Commission’s Interim Report highlighting the importance of family day care, its strengths and capacity within the sector to, if appropriately supported, expand and better meet the needs of children and families across the state.
On Sunday 27 August 2023 the Royal Commission released its Final Report. The report contains 43 recommendations and details an ambitious vision for the future of early childhood education and care in South Australia. FDCA is pleased that several of the recommendations reflect positions put forward in our submission, for example:
- Recommendation 10 includes a statement that State Government could consider a range of other actions to meet critical needs and demonstrate new models of action, such as supporting family day care educator establishment, through small business grants or onboarding.
- Recommendation 13 references that the State Government should leverage early childhood education and care provision to meet its long-term aspiration of reducing developmental vulnerability designing ‘the glue’ to promote opportunities for sharing and learning about evidence-based approaches to successful inclusion, and to enable developmental concerns identified in long day care, family day care or other services to be the subject of ‘warm referrals’ to the right service provider.
- Recommendation 43 outlines a proposal that the State Government trials and evaluates a range of three and four year old preschool OSHC delivery models and that this trial should include different communities and service settings including supporting family day care ‘in-venue’ provision.
FDCA will continue to work with the SA Department for Education in their efforts to support the sector to expand and diversify and utilise the findings and recommendations to continue to pursue options in other jurisdictions.
FDCA Board of Directors - Call for Nominations
Are you a current or aspiring leader within the family day care community and looking for an opportunity to take the next step?
Would you like the opportunity to work closely with other Directors in setting the direction of the national peak body for family day care?
If you answered yes to the questions above, we encourage you to nominate for the position of a Member Elected Director on the Family Day Care Australia (FDCA) Board of Directors.
FDCA is calling for nominations to fill a vacancy arising upon the cessation of the tenure of one Member Elected Director at this year’s Annual General Meeting.
The FDCA Board of Directors Board is focused on the effective governance of the organisation, including strategic direction, finance, compliance and risk management. The Board comprises seven to eleven positions, made up of:
- A minimum of five and a maximum of six Directors elected by the national membership
- A minimum of two and a maximum of five skills-based Directors appointed by the Board
To view FDCA’s current Board of Directors, click here.
If you are interested in considering a directorship with FDCA, please contact Scott Rollason, FDCA General Manager, via firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the Board Candidate Nomination Pack and instructions on submitting your nomination.
Nominations must be received by 5.00pm (AEST) Tuesday 5 September 2023.
In Focus webinar: Wellbeing in the Approved Learning Frameworks
Version 2 of the national approved learning frameworks are now approved for use under the National Quality Framework. The updates ensure the frameworks continue to reflect contemporary developments in practice and knowledge, while supporting all educators to promote the learning, development, and wellbeing of children and young people.
Register now to hear Associate Professor Jennifer Cartmel and Associate Professor Fay Hadley discuss wellbeing in the updated Approved Learning Frameworks.
When: Wednesday 20 September - 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM AEST
To register for the webinar, please click here.
You're invited to stay online after the 1 hour webinar has concluded to join a 30 minute conversation with our panelists about the updated learning frameworks. Hear from other educators from across Australia sharing their strategies to promote the wellbeing of children and young people.
Remember to check your time zone, confirm your local start time here.
Can’t make the live session, register your details to be the first to receive a link to the recording.
National Child Protection Week
NAPCAN began coordinating National Child Protection Week (NCPW) across Australia in an effort to engage and educate all Australians to understand they have a part to play in keeping our children and young people safe. Each campaign builds on the strengths of previous years and has evolved to provide support to communities to act on the core message, “protecting children is everyone’s business”.
This year National Child Protection Week will take place September 3rd - 9th and continue to champion the message ‘Every child in every community needs a fair go’ with the 2023 theme being ‘Where we start matters’.
This message captures the essence of National Child Protection Week which aims to promote a safe and supported life for every child, now and into the future.
If you want to learn more or get involved, please click here.
Early Childhood Educators Day - Wednesday 6th September
Next Wednesday, 6th September, is Early Childhood Educators’ Day which acknowledges and celebrates the amazing contribution all early childhood education professionals make to the wellbeing and development of Australia’s children.
It’s a fantastic opportunity for service providers, families and communities to say a well-deserved thank you to all the wonderful family day care educators who show such professionalism and deep commitment in their tireless efforts to help each individual child in their care to thrive .
We encourage family day care services to check out the free downloadable resources available here. There are posters, certificates of appreciation, promotional images for use in social media and websites, a “How are you going to say thank you?” video that can be shared in the lead up to the day itself and more!
Finally, a HUGE thank you from all of us at Family Day Care Australia to all our passionate and committed educators. Through your dedication and amazing efforts, you shine a spotlight on the unique strengths of family day care in supporting the diverse needs of Australian children and families.
Have you downloaded the myFDCA App?
Available to all FDCA members on both Apple and Android devices, the myFDCA App is FREE and available to download via the App Store and the Google Play Store.
The myFDCA App puts your range of exclusive member benefits in the palm of your hand to access anytime, anywhere! This means:
- You can access your FDCA member benefits via your mobile device anytime, anywhere!
- You can get realtime Family Day Care Locator notifications, never miss a care enquiry and respond instantly!
- Your favourite resources such as the FDCA Learning Hub, the Online Engagement Series and JiGSAW magazine will always be in arms reach!
You can also view your membership and insurance information through the app.
How do I get the myFDCA App?
To get the myFDCA App today, all you need to do is visit the App Store (Apple devices) or the Google Play Store (Android devices) and download the app.
Logging into your myFDCA App
Once you have downloaded the app, all you need to do is log in using the same email address and password that you use to access your FDCA Member Zone.
What if I haven't activated my FDCA Member Zone?
To activate your FDCA Member Zone, all you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Click here to activate your free account
- Enter your registered email address (the same email that this email was sent to)
- An email will then be sent to your email address; click on the 'create password' button
- Create and confirm your password
- Use your email address and password to access the myFDCA App
Apple and the Apple Logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.